Managing your move cost will help stretch your relocation budget. Here are the top 3 tips for saving money while moving:
Reduced items = reduced cost
The cost of your move is based on the size of your shipment, which affects both weight, and time to load. Reducing the number of items we move reduces both of these cost factors. Remember to tell your move coordinator of any changes you make after your initial survey.
Complete packing before move day
Doing some, or all your packing, can take a big chunk off the bottom line cost. Be sure to update your coordinator if you do more or less packing than you originally planned. We want to arrive with the correct supplies and manpower to get your move done quickly.
- Check out our packing tips/videos for expert advice to ensure everything is properly protected
- Collect boxes
- Ask your move coordinator if boxes are available for purchase or for free from your moving company
- Check for used boxes from someone who just moved into the area
- TV boxes are expensive to purchase new. Ask a local electronic store for one they would otherwise recycle
- Set goals to make sure the whole house is packed by move day. This will ensure you don’t have to pay for unexpected packing services on the day of loading
Complete 3rd party work yourself
Some tasks can’t be completed by your local movers. For these, we hire specialized 3rd party service companies. If you can do these tasks yourself, it will save the additional cost.
- Disconnect/reconnect appliances
- Disassemble/reassemble cribs, play structures, exercise equipment
- Remove permanently mounted items from walls – drapery rods, mounted artwork, anchored furniture, TVs