Make Moving a Breeze with Corrigan Moving
Moving can be one of the most stressful things a person can do in their lifetime. Here at Corrigan, our mission is to make your move as smooth as possible. From the “For Sale” sign going in your front yard to the final box unpacked at your new home, Corrigan Moving is with you every step of the way. As industry leaders, we’re here to share our expert tips for a stress-free transition.
Before Listing Your Home
What’s a realtor’s favorite word? Declutter! Before listing your home, your realtor is likely to give you tips for staging and making your home look magazine worthy. Here are some tips from homeowners and how Corrigan Moving can help!
- Free boxes for decluttering! Did you know that Corrigan customers can receive free used boxes when they book their move*? When available, our customers can pick up various sized boxes for free. Our offices also carry a variety of moving supplies for purchase, such as tape, packing paper and bubble wrap. Start packing and decluttering before your realtor schedules your home photos to make your house shine in the pictures. Many customers call Corrigan and reserve a move date prior to listing their homes for this reason. Move dates can be adjusted once your home is under contract, so take advantage of as many perks as you can!
- Garage a mess? Wardrobe boxes to the rescue! Wardrobe boxes are large and tall, perfect for holding oversized items. Leave the top of the wardrobe box open to store and organize long handled yard tools, sports equipment, and children’s toys. This will make your garage look cleaner and larger with minimal effort! Click here to learn more about wardrobe boxes.
- Patch your walls like a pro. If you have small nail holes or painted walls that need touched up, be sure to do so prior to your real-estate pictures. Need to match paint colors? Using a small utility knife (be careful!), shallowly cut a quarter size hole from the top layer of paint. It’s best to do this from a non-conspicuous spot, like behind furniture or a low corner. Taking that small paint swatch to your local hardware store or paint shop, they can match your paint color exactly. Using a drywall patch kit, touch up your holes and paint with your perfectly matched touch up paint. Good as new! Here’s a great demonstration of how to get the perfect paint chip.
Once your home is on the market, you’ll spend time away to let others walk through and envision themselves living there. Many homeowners who have used Corrigan Moving have given us tips that make frequent trips away during showings easier.
- Pack a small suitcase. During showings, many homeowners want to have their valuables or personal documents hidden away. Many people have found packing a small suitcase with these items to be an easy way to grab and go during a showing.
- Find a local pet daycare. Dogs and cats will also need a place to go during showings. Finding a local doggy daycare or daily pet care location is a great option to keep your pets happy and safe.
- Entertain the kiddos! Parents know getting small kids out the door can be a challenge. Packing a backpack with art supplies or small toys and games can be a great way to keep kids entertained and happy when frequently leaving the home.
- Free, free, free! Look for free ways to pass the time during showings. If showings are scheduled back to back, you could find yourself away for hours at a time. Going to your local library, parks or farmers markets are free and easy ways to pass the time. If you’re moving nearby, try booking a guided tour around your new city. Even if you’re familiar with your new town, you could be surprised by learning new and interesting history!
Congratulations! Now that your home is under contract, the real work begins. If you haven’t contacted Corrigan Moving yet for a free in-home or virtual estimate, now is the time! Your local sales representative will create a custom move quote based on the services you’re looking for. Below are some things to consider before your move consultation.
- Decide who’s packing. Corrigan Moving offers full packing service. We also can provide packing on a smaller scale, such as boxing up only mattresses, TVs or fragile items. Decide if there’s anything you want Corrigan to pack or if you plan to handle everything yourself before your move consultant arrives. For more details on packing yourself, click here.
- Decide what’s being moved. Having a plan of items to move before your move survey is imperative to getting an accurate estimate. The sales representative will go room by room through your home to get a thorough and detailed inventory to accurately estimate the scope of your job. Your move inventory can always be changed, but you’ll want to have a clear understanding of what items you want handled by Corrigan.
- Research donation locations. If you have items you want to donate, investigate local thrift stores and secondhand shops. Many offer free pickup services for donated furniture, but these can be booked weeks in advance. Plan ahead and schedule a donation pickup prior to the move date. Corrigan is proud to support Habitat for Humanity, who has several locations that offer free donation pick up.
- Know what can and cannot be thrown away. Moving companies cannot transport items such as chemicals, gasoline containers or anything caustic ( a full list of prohibited items can be found here). Your city may have resources or a local return drive where they’ll accept hazardous items and electronics to be properly disposed of. Waste Management has additional information on properly disposing your hazardous household items.
New Home Sweet Home
You’ve done it! It’s your first night in your new home. Where do you start in the sea of boxes? Here are some suggestions to make your first night in the new home a fun and easy transition for everyone.
- Pack bedding in suitcases. The last thing you want to do after a long move day is search for your bedding. Packing fresh sheets and bedding in a suitcase will make it easy to find to make the bed when you’re ready to hit the hay.
- Have an “open first” box. Having a box full of essentials will make the first night a breeze. Suggested items are toilet paper, paper towels and plates, plastic utensils and bar soap. Including a small new activity, like a puzzle or coloring book for kids is a great way to keep them entertained as you’re settling in. Don’t forget a new toy or treats for Whiskers and Fido!
- Order in! Your first meal in your new home is one to remember. Start making memories by ordering in from a local restaurant and enjoy looking into new places to dine.
- Walk in your new neighborhood. You’ve earned a break! Taking a walk around your new neighborhood is a great way to take a mental break, meet new neighbors and explore your new surroundings. Take Fido along to get them acquainted with the new smells!
Corrigan is more than a moving company. We’re your relocation partner from start to finish. Whether moving locally, cross country or internationally, Corrigan Moving is ready to move you. Contact us today!
*Booked moves only. No cash value. Free used boxes limited to availability of the local Corrigan office. Your sales representative or move coordinator can provide additional details.
Photo Designed by https://www.freepik.com/
Comments are closed.