International Moving FAQs
Whether you are actively embarking on your own international relocation, considering an upcoming move, or are just interested in the process, the following International Moving FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) includes several of the most common inquiries our customers have about moving internationally:
- When should I contact an international moving company to begin organizing my relocation?
- Pre-planning and preparation is the key—contact an international moving specialist as soon as possible. Early planning streamlines the moving process by giving your moving consultant time to prepare for customs issues, logistical concerns, documentation details and country-specific shipping restrictions.
- How are the estimated costs of my shipment determined?
- A Corrigan representative will perform a complimentary visual in-home, pre-move survey that incurs no obligation, but enables us to compile the accurate weight assessment and service profile needed to compile your relocation estimate. After the survey, Corrigan will provide you with your comprehensive estimate of service, including charges for door-to-door relocation services, and factoring in all the unique circumstances involved in your relocation.
- How can I best prepare for my move prior to load day?
- Corrigan International provides every client with a relocation guide complete with specific recommendations for how to prepare in the weeks prior to a move. Common considerations include how much size and space will be available in your new residence abroad, and the possibility that certain electronics and appliances may face customs restrictions or be incompatible with varying international voltage.
- When are charges for my move collected?
- Corrigan requires 50 percent of the total moving costs provided in the estimate of service paid prior to the first day of packing and loading. The pre-payment of any charges is in order to pre-book shipping equipment or specialized packaging. The remaining balance is only due after the pack/load is performed and we have accurate information regarding actual weight and services performed. The remaining balance is due in full prior to the release of your shipment for transportation.
- Who will assist me with my personal effects once I arrive in my destination country?
- Corrigan works with a network of certified movers throughout the world. A Corrigan destination partner will be assigned to you upon booking your move with us. We only partner with the top FIDI organizations to ensure you have a great experience as you move into your new home. Corrigan International will remain your primary contact throughout the entire process, so you don’t have to get involved with multiple companies.
- What do I do if I have any questions or concerns during or after my move?
- Corrigan takes great pride in our extraordinary level of customer service. Our clients can contact their international relocation specialist directly by phone or email at any time.
If you have a question that does not appear above, or if you would like to learn more about Corrigan’s international relocation services, our experienced relocation specialists can be contacted directly.